Different Home Decorating Styles
Does your spouse or significant other have a different home decorating style than you?
Do you find it hard to decorate with a design the both of you will love? Maybe you’re just moving in together and need to figure out what to keep, what to get rid of without offending each other or don’t have a lot of money and need to make whatever you have work. I’ve heard the horror stories of him not wanting to let go of that dreadful futon from his college dorm days. You know the one. The one that’s been vomited on after the parties, the one that smells like funky corn chips from all the sweaty socks. Yeah that one! Some still have the corn chip crumbs in them.
How do you bridge the gap between finding your own design style that will compliment and create cohesiveness? How do you make it all work? The end result should have considerations for both you and your spouse. I am not going to lie to you, it will take some planning, some thinking and some compromising but in the end you will be left with a design you both can live with and enjoy.
Keep It Simple
The idea is to keep it simple. My day job as a Business Analyst is all about streamlining and simplifying the process. How can we work smarter and not harder? When we are living single we tend to fill the space with what we have. We have homes filled with our belongings and we must shed ourselves of these things first. You must first separate the things that you love, from the things that you like and the things that you could do without.
Yes that funky corn chip couch has got to go! If it is something that you love and can’t part with, then this is where the compromise comes in. Get rid of about 10-20 percent and have a yard sale to make a little extra money if you should decide to buy a few new decorating pieces to fit your new combined decor style.
Simple Interior Paint Color Palettes
Choose a color or two for your space. Too many colors will just add more confusion and will not unify the space. You can bring in the masculinity with color. Choose one color and use different shades of that color through the space. Keep the color scheme in the same color family. The 80/20 rule is a good place to start. Use one color for 80 percent of the space and the other 20 percent will be in the accessories. This is a good way to keep your focus in the proper perspective and create a good guideline to blending your belongings.
You can also do 80 percent of a neutral color and do the other 20 percent in pops of color or a bolder color palette. The better way to do this would be to apply the neutrals to the walls and the furnishings. You can use slip covers if the current color of the sofas don’t match the color palette that you and your spouse have agreed upon.
The 20 percent would include colorful throws or accent pillows. I love accent pillows because they can be easily interchanged when you want to switch up the color scheme. Beautiful table linens and centerpieces can also be used to spice up those neutrals. Your 20 percent doesn’t have to be expensive either. The hunt for accessories can be an inexpensive adventure. Shopping at estate sales, flea markets and even the dollar store have proven to be good resources.
A way to bring a look together is to bring balance to the room. Find the balance by equally distributing the visual weight. Visual weight is a measure of the force that an element exerts to attract the eye. For instance, Textured furnishings can have a heavier visual appearance than non-textured furnishings. Group different but like items together to create a collection. In the example below, all the picture frames are the same size and shape, even the squares in the middle displaying the pictures are the same size and shape, however each picture is different.
You can create balance in pairing things together. Each item should have a companion. You can pair things by color, shape, texture and fabric. The list goes on. The items do not have to be placed together to accomplish the visual weight. If you have a blue chair then use a throw of the same blue hue. You have a wooden side table so use a wooden tray for the table centerpiece. If you notice, the pillow and the eye chart have the same color hue and the 3 picture frames at the top are the same size and shape. No matter what items you choose to pair together remember to distribute visual weight evenly.
What Mood Are You In
Determine what type of atmosphere you want to initiate in your space and make sure to include items that match the mood you want to create. If you want to create a calm in the space, you will choose furnishings, colors and accessories that will produce that mood. For instance, you would choose patterns and prints that have a soft color. Nothing too bold. Neutrals work well in this space too. You can incorporate flowers into the design. Place furniture with subtle curves to compliment the straight lines of the floors and walls.
The Heart Of The Room
Choose a focal point that you both enjoy and decorate everything else around it. A focal point is a point of attraction and draws your eye in. It could be a piece of furniture, a vase, artwork or even a color but it’s something that you both should have a fondness for. A lot of rooms are decorated using a fireplace as a focal point. The placement of the furniture is important in creating a focus. Once you decide on a focal point then arrange your furniture around it or beside it depending on what the focal point is. This also works well if you want to decorate with a theme in mind.
Decorating with a theme can be exciting and a good way to bring a focus to the space. You’ve traveled and you and your spouse may have collected pieces that have cultural influences. Using them to bring a similar theme to the room is a great way to hone in on a focal point. Take pictures of places you’ve been or use pictures of places you would like to go and use that to create your theme.
Choose Your Decorating Style
You and your spouse may have two totally different interior decorating styles but if you plan, communicate and follow these tips you will have designed something that is really beautiful, unique and all your own. So choose wisely and happy decorating!